Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Adventures in Composting

Yesterday I built a compost bin. I'm so proud of myself! I think I succeeded in building it because I started with low expectations and decided I wasn't going to drill or nail a single thing. So how do you build a compost bin without drilling or nailing?

Pallets my friend. With pallets.

 And bailing twine.


  And some made-up knots.

   
Yeah, that'll probably work.
 And maybe if you're feeling ambitious a staple gun and a little bit of screen.


Throw it all together and what do you get?



BOOM. A compost bin. Well, close enough. Given my general lack of abilities I think this a perfectly serviceable solution for my composting needs. I'll be getting more pallets eventually and adding a second compartment to the left as well as a "door" for the front. 

Alright, so we have a compost bin. Now what should we put in it? HORSE POOP.




OLD EGGS.

STRAW.



FIGHTER JETS.


Okay, not fighter jets. I saw two of these guys (or ladies, hard to tell from such a distance) flying around this morning and snapped a picture for you, my five dearest readers.

In addition I got some barn cleaning done, let out the horses and chickens for some grazing time, and got all my laundry done. I feel like a Successful Adult (tm).


No comments:

Post a Comment