Thursday, January 5, 2012

Zen and the Art of Chicken Tractor Building



I suffer from depression. I promise we're going to get to the chicken tractor, but let's start there.

Depression sucks in the most literal of ways. It sucks the energy and will and motivation right out of you. Sometimes there's no reason for it. Sometimes something can set it off. Yesterday I found out that I won't be getting any financial aid for the spring semester. Due to my finances that means I likely won't be able to attend. Because of the courses I need to take missing this semester adds a full year onto my transfer plan. This is a bummer.

Yesterday afternoon I had no interest in even looking at the chicken tractor I've been struggling to build. My utter lack of carpentry skills mean it's a fight for me to get even the most basic steps done. What was the point of messing with it?

I remembered I took some pictures the day before.


I know this doesn't look exciting to anyone who's ever built anything but I think this is the very first time I've put nails in something and had them stay straight. This was the board I'd started with, for comparison.


Even a minor victory feels good. When you're depressed that's what you need. You need a little victory. Something that makes you feel good and capable and successful. So I eventually convinced myself to head outside and reset a wonky leg. It wasn't much but it was enough to make me feel like I accomplished something. It was enough.

By the time I had my minor victory for the day it was getting dark, so I spent some time in the coop with the chickens. We have a large coop with a run for the big birds. The tractor will be for my bantams.

Mateo, Izzie, Peggy

"WHAT?"

Hank in all his orangeness.

Today I'll see what other little victory I can manage. I'm going to get this tractor done bit by bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment