Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Dream Farm

School and outside are keeping me busy. Just had my first test of the semester last week. Got an A. Take that, chemistry! I'm still working on the fence for the garden and pictures will be coming soon. In the meantime, I've been daydreaming about my ideal farm.

The goal is to be as self-sufficient as possible. To have what we need and use what we have. I don't want a lot of wasted space or a large house I have to try and maintain.

I've been looking at some "tiny houses" like those featured at Tumbleweed Tiny House Company and Texas Tiny Houses and I think something like that would fit the bill. What I've noticed from looking at these incredibly small dwellings is that they are laid out to make use of every last square foot. I've also realized I don't need a ton of space. Now when kids come into the picture my opinion might change, but even then I see no appeal in a 3200 sq. ft. McMansion. I far prefer the charm of old Victorians, Queen Annes, Craftsman bungalows, and these purpose-built tiny houses.

When I think about my farm I picture something from the old Charlotte's Web animated movie. A sturdy old barn shared by multiple animals, each with their own space and their own purpose. They would have shelter when they want it and sunshine when they don't. I'd also like several acres of pasture so I can set up a good rotational grazing system. The animals that benefit from grass should be able to be out there as much as possible.

We'll help conserve water by using rainwater collection and a greywater recycling system to water our gardens, and as much solar power as we can. I don't feel the need to be entirely off grid but I figure every little bit I can do helps.

My girlfriend is more the plant person in the relationship and I'm really hoping she'll take up a lot of that. I'm fine with the labor portion but she has the real skill. She knows what to plant and where and when and why. Hopefully she can  keep me from messing things up too badly.

Livestock is what I get excited about. First of all I have this romantic idea of using a draft horse instead of a tractor for most things. I don't know how feasible that is, but a Suffolk Punch is so much cooler than a tractor.

amandabhslater via Flickr

And on the topic of working animals, a stock dog and a livestock guardian or two would be okay.

NatalieMaynor via Flickr

There would be Dorking chickens for eggs and meat.

cranneyanthony via Flickr

And some miniature cattle for milk and beef.

florador via Flickr
Stephen&Claire Farnsworth via Flickr

And some American Chinchilla rabbits for meat and fur.




And some adorable sheep for wool and adorableness (I don't have any fondness for lamb or mutton, but hey).

michaelcobballen via Flickr


It's fun to dream.



No comments:

Post a Comment