Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Power Outage

Just as I was finishing up my shower yesterday our power went out. It was windy so it wasn't unexpected. It did throw a little kink into my usual morning routine, but it wasn't an unwelcome one.

My usual morning routine involves rolling out of bed. Sometimes there's a shower, sometimes there's breakfast right away. Usually I turn on the computer and plop down. I intend to do some writing, maybe review some homework. I inevitably end up chatting with my girlfriend Carrie (when the one you love is several states away you talk as much as you can), browsing Facebook, poking Pinterest, scanning Imgur, reading my blogs...basically anything other than what I intended to do. This either goes on until I have to leave for school or until I realize I really REALLY need to get to work outside.

Yesterday there was no power and no computer. So I dried off from my shower and admired the silence of the house while I got dressed. There's a constant hum of electricity in a house you don't notice until it stops all at once. When it comes back on you don't understand how you ever ignored it. I opened my bedroom window for some extra light. I changed the sheets on my bed. I picked up a few items I've been meaning to get rid of and put them in a bag to take to the thrift store later this week. I put away some freshly dried clothes. I swept. I sat down and counted the change I've been saving. All that in the span of an hour.

Then the power came back on and my routine went back to normal. Computer on, breakfast in front of me, planning to to do some writing and some homework. Instead I ended up on Facebook and got caught in a conversation about which The Lonely Island band member was tallest.

I love having electricity. I love the internet. I love the ability to stay connected to people no matter how far away they may be. But I think, maybe, I could use a few more power outage mornings.

I got out last night with my new-as-used tripod to try and capture the cloud halo around the full moon. I took a dozen pictures, but the very first was the very best (but still not that great, I need more practice).







No comments:

Post a Comment